The best of the best in Asia’s MICE industry was feted and honoured at M&C Asia Stella Awards 2022, shining a spotlight on the region's top organisations which have demonstrated agility and resilience through the pandemic while taking the industry to new heights with their fresh and exciting product innovations.
“The MICE industry is back on its feet and well on its way to recovery. I am excited to see what the future of MICE has to offer, as we step into a new era of growth and renewal in the days to come,” said Irene Chua, vice president and group publisher, Asia, of Northstar Travel Group who kickstarted the awards ceremony.
The exclusive awards ceremony, which was held at Hybrid Broadcast Studio at Sands Expo & Convention Centres was held in conjunction with M&C Asia Connections 2022 that brought leading meeting planners and suppliers together during the week-long event.
The 22 winners at M&C Asia Stella Awards 2022 were determined after a rigorous voting period, which saw meetings industry professionals submitting their votes across five categories based on criteria such as overall performance, professionalism, MICE initiatives, sustainability efforts, trade support, and other critical aspects of the meetings and event experience.
Being one of the very first Asian destinations to welcome back business events, Singapore bagged a win for the Best MICE Destination (Asia), given its efforts at pushing the boundaries in enhancing its MICE infrastructure.
"Our MICE sector recovery has picked up pace very rapidly — we now have a very robust pipeline of international MICE events over the next few years — a testament to your efforts and stellar track record in executing high quality events," Yap Chin Siang, deputy chief executive of Singapore Tourism Board, declared upon receiving the award. "So to all our industry partners, this award is also for you, it would not have been possible without you delivering amazing experiences, whether it's from MICE venues to attractions to dining to tour experiences, as well as your excellent delivery of MICE events."
MEET TAIWAN secured the award for Best Convention & Visitors Bureau (Asia) especially for keeping the lights on for the global business events industry, which has continuously supported and kept business events professionals connected with its MICE offerings and updates.
The hot button topic of sustainability, an increasing demand among planners in today’s world, was further highlighted throughout the awards ceremony, as the sector collectively moves towards a greener future.
Francis Teo, head of convention centres at SP Setia who accepted the Best Sustainable Convention Venue award on behalf of Setia SPICE Convention Centre said: “It's a privilege to be acknowledged by M&C Asia Stella Awards for our sustainability initiatives which we have invested a lot of time and effort into over all these years. One of the biggest things we’re proud of is that we’re the first hybrid solar powered convention centre in the world.”
Marriott International took home the win for Best Sustainable Hotel Chain, which Anuj Sharma, area director of operations for Marriott International in Singapore, Malaysia & Maldives, described as “a true testament of our company’s commitment to creating a positive and sustainable impact wherever we do business.
“We are incredibly humbled and encouraged by the recognition and will continue to fully invest in sustainability efforts to tackle climate change and build a healthier, more sustainable world,” Sharma added. “With our size and global scale, we are well positioned to be part of the solution.”
Chua concluded on an optimistic note: “We hope that the awards will continue to inspire you, and all of us here, to constantly grow and deliver even more exceptional experiences for your clients and guests.”
The full list of winners for M&C Asia Stella Awards 2022 are as follows:
• Best MICE Destination (Asia): Singapore
• Best Conference and Exhibitions City (Asia): Seoul
• Best Meetings & Incentives Destination (Asia): Thailand
Convention & Visitors Bureau
• Best Convention & Visitors Bureau (Asia): MEET TAIWAN
• Best Convention Centre (Southeast Asia): Sands Expo & Convention Centre
• Best Convention Centre (North Asia): AsiaWorld-Expo
• Best Sustainable Hotel Chain: Marriott International
• Best Sustainable Convention Venue: Setia SPICE Convention Centre
• Best Meetings Hotel Chain: Hyatt Hotels Corporation
• Best New Meetings Hotel (Asia): Hilton Singapore Orchard
• Best Meetings Hotel (China): Pudong Shangri-la, Shanghai
• Best Meetings Hotel (Hong Kong): Grand Hyatt Hong Kong
• Best Meetings Hotel (Indonesia) : The Ritz Carlton, Bali
• Best Meetings Hotel (Japan): The Okura Tokyo
• Best Meetings Hotel (Macao): The Venetian Macao
• Best Meetings Hotel (Malaysia): EQ Kuala Lumpur
• Best Meetings Hotel (Philippines): Conrad Manila
• Best Meetings Hotel (Singapore): Marina Bay Sands Singapore
• Best Meetings Hotel (South Korea): Conrad Seoul
• Best Meetings Hotel (Taiwan): W Taipei
• Best Meetings Hotel (Thailand): Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit
• Best Meetings Hotel (Vietnam): JW Marriott Hotel Hanoi
Click here to view more photos from M&C Asia Stella Awards 2022.