by Meetings and Conventions Asia | January 21, 2020
ezxoman210120
The Oman Ministry of Tourism has called upon all hotel and tourist establishments to stop all events during period of mourning.

MUSCAT - Hotels in Oman have been banned from holding events for 40 days as the country mourns the passing of Sultan Qaboos bin Said, according to the Times of Oman.

The Ministry of Tourism issued a statement asking hotels across the country to refrain from holding concerts, arts or musical performances.

"Based on the statement issued by the Diwan of Royal Court, which included declaring mourning, disrupting official work for three days, and the flags at half-mast for 40 days, the Ministry of Tourism calls upon all hotel and tourist establishments to stop completely holding any concerts, art or musical performance of any form, during the period of mourning," the statement said.

"And this also includes not using music in all public and private events held in hotel establishments," the statement added.

Last week, the Muscat Festival 2020 was cancelled due to national mourning for the late Sultan Qaboos.

The Muscat Municipality announced the cancellation of this year's event, which was set to get underway in January and run through to mid-February, as a mark of respect for the sultanate's former ruler, who died on Jan 10 at the age of 79.

A host of cultural, entertainment, heritage and sporting events were planned for the festival in the build-up to celebrating the country's 50th National Day in November.